当地时间5月8日晚,为纪念第二次世界大战“欧洲胜利日”75周年,英国女王伊丽莎白二世发表电视演讲,鼓励英国民众在新冠疫情时期秉承二战时期“永不言弃,永不绝望”(“Never give up, never despair.”)的信念,互相关爱,战胜病毒。
I speak to you today at the same hour as my father did exactly 75 years ago.
我今天的讲话时间与我父亲75年前向全国发表讲话的时间完全一样。
His message then was a
salute1 to the men and women at home and abroad, who have sacrificed so much in pursuit of what he rightly called "a great deliverance".
当时他的讲话是向英国海内外人民致敬,他们为了实现我父亲称之为“伟大的拯救”战斗的胜利而鞠躬尽瘁。
The war had been a total war. It had
affected2 everyone, and no one was immune from its impact.
那是一场全面战争,它影响了所有人,无人能置身事外。
Whether it be the men and women called up to serve, families separated from each other, or people asked to take up new roles and skills to support the war effort. All had a part to play.
无论是被征召服役的战士们、被迫分离的家人,还是被要求从事新职业、学习新技术以支援战争的人们,每个人都有自己的职责。
At the start, the outlook seemed
bleak3, the end distant, the outcome uncertain.
最初,前景看似黯淡,终结之日遥不可及,最终结局悬而未决。
But we kept faith that the cause was right, and this belief, as my father
noted4 in his broadcast, carried us through. "Never give up, never despair."
但我们坚信是在为正义而战,正如我父亲在广播中所说,这种信念让我们坚持了下去,“永不言弃,永不绝望。”
That was the message of VE-Day.
这就是“欧洲胜利日”所传达的信息。
I
vividly5 remember the jubilant scenes my sister and I witnessed with our parents and Winston Churchill from the balcony of Buckingham Palace.
我清楚地记得,当时和妹妹在白金汉宫阳台上与父母及丘吉尔首相一起目睹的欢庆场面。
The sense of joy in the crowds who gathered outside and across the country was profound.
聚集在白金汉宫外和全国各地民众的喜悦是那么深切感人。
Though while we
celebrated6 the victory in Europe, we knew there would be further sacrifice.
虽然我们在欧洲庆祝胜利,但深知世界各地还会有更多的牺牲。
It was not until August that fighting in the Far East ceased and the war finally ended.
直到八月份,远东地区的战斗才停止,二战终于结束了。
Many people laid down their lives in that terrible conflict.
许多人在那场可怕的战事中失去了生命。
They fought so we could live in peace, at home and abroad.
他们奋勇战斗,所以国内外的我们才能过上和平的生活。
They died so we could live as free people in a world of free nations.
他们的牺牲,让我们得以成为在自由国度里生活的自由之人。
They risked all so our families and neighbourhoods could be safe.
他们赌上一切,换来了我们家人和邻里的安全。
We should and will remember them.
我们应该也将会永远记住他们。
As I now reflect on my father's words and the
joyous7 celebrations, which some of us experienced firsthand, I am thankful for the strength and courage that the United Kingdom, the
Commonwealth8 and all our allies displayed.
如今,回想起父亲的话语,还有我们中的一些人亲历的庆祝活动,我对英国、英联邦以及所有盟国表现的力量和勇气深表感激。
The wartime generation knew that the best way to honour those who did not come back from the war was to ensure that it didn't happen again.
战时的一代人知道,纪念那些没有从战争中归来的人的最好办法,就是确保战争不再发生。
The greatest tribute to their sacrifice is that countries who were once sworn enemies are now friends, working side by side for the peace, health and prosperity of us all.
向他们的牺牲致敬的最佳方式,便是曾经是死敌的国家现在成为朋友,并为了所有人的和平、健康和繁荣并肩努力。
Today, it may seem hard that we cannot mark this special anniversary as we would wish. Instead, we remember from our homes and our doorsteps.
今天,我们很难以自己所希望的方式庆祝这个特别的日子,而只能在家中或是家门口纪念。
But our streets are not empty, they are filled with the love and the care that we have for each other.
但我们的街道并不是空荡荡的,那里充满了我们对彼此的爱和关怀。
And when I look at our country today and see what we are willing to do to protect and support one another, I say with pride that we are still a nation those brave soldiers, sailors and airmen would recognise and admire.
今天,当我看到我们的国家,看到我们愿意为保护和支持彼此而奉献,我可以自豪地说,我们仍然是一个值得被那些勇敢的士兵、海军和飞行员认可和钦佩的国度。
I send my warmest good wishes to all.
我衷心祝愿大家一切安好。
分享到: